January 27, 2015
Regional DHS and MIS Malaria Analysis Workshop
Regional DHS/MIS Malaria Analysis Workshop
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
May 4th-12th, 2015
The DHS Program is seeking applications for an eight day malaria data analysis workshop to be held in or around Dar es Salaam, Tanzania from May 4th-12th, 2015.
The regional workshop will teach participants to analyze DHS/MIS data sets with a special focus on malaria data. The statistical software Stata 13 will be provided for use during the workshop. The content of the workshop includes sampling/weighting of survey data, recoding variables, computation of malaria indicators, linear/logistic regression, and data use for decision making. Participants will work in teams of 2-3 people throughout the workshop to answer a pre-identified malaria-related research question through analysis of DHS/MIS data. The final product will be a draft of an abstract for submission to a scientific journal or conference.
Interested applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must apply as a team of 2-3 individuals from the same country who work on malaria-related issues. Targeted institutions include research organizations, non-profits (NGOs), NMCPs and universities
- Must have a valid passport and be able to understand and communicate in English
(Francophone workshop is currently in planning, please email below for more information)
- Must have a laptop computer that can be used throughout the workshop
- Must have at least a Master's Degree in public health, demography, statistics, or related subject as well as basic training in statistics
- Must be available to attend every day of the workshop
- Must be committed to share the information with colleagues after the workshop is completed.
Applications should include the following items:
- A completed application form (one per team)
- A one page proposal (one per team) outlining a malaria-related research question that could be answered with DHS/MIS data and its potential program or policy significance
- A curriculum vitae for each team member with a list of publications and complete contact information (Email, Telephone, Mailing Address)
Please note that all workshop expenses will be covered (except transport to and from airport in participant's home country) and statistical software will be provided. Applicants who are accepted for the workshop must submit a letter from his/her employer approving participation for the entirety of the workshop.