Back to browse results
Role of Knowledge, Sociodemographic, and Behavioral Factors on Lifetime HIV Testing among Adult Population in Nepal: Evidence from a Cross-Sectional National Survey
Authors: Bimala Sharma, and Eun Woo Nam
Source: International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16(18): 3311; DOI: 10.3390/ijerph16183311
Topic(s): Adult health
HIV testing
Country: Asia
Published: SEP 2019
Abstract: Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) testing is important to HIV prevention, treatment, and care. We aimed to assess the role of sociodemographic, behavioral factors and HIV knowledge on HIV testing among people aged 15-49 years in Nepal. The 2011 Nepal Demographic and Health Survey data was used for secondary data analysis. Herein, 9843 women and 3017 men who had experienced coitus were included. The respondents were asked if they underwent HIV testing and received the test results in their lifetime. Chi-square test and multivariate logistic regression analysis were applied at 5% level of significance. Adjusted odds ratios and 95% confidence intervals were computed separately for women and men. Of the total, 18.0% of men and 7.4% of women had been tested for HIV in their lifetime. As compared to the age of 15 to 24 years, males aged 25 to 29 years were more likely to report, whereas females aged 35 to 49 years were less likely to report HIV testing. Lower caste groups had more likelihood of reporting HIV testing than the other caste in both sexes. The odds of being tested for HIV were significantly higher among those who had higher education in both sexes. There was significant positive association between HIV testing and economic status in males whereas this association was reverse among females. The male respondents who spent more than one month away from home in the last 12 months were 1.68 times more likely to have been tested for HIV in their lifetime. Having multiple sexual partners was associated with higher odds of testing for HIV in both sexes. Having comprehensive HIV knowledge was independently associated with the reporting of higher odds of HIV testing in females. Promotion of HIV testing should consider sociodemographic factors, sexual behavior, and imparting comprehensive HIV knowledge.